 From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf Of
Diana Maynard
Sent: 14 March 2014 11:42
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] hi carb meal/wrong bolus/where did i go wrong?

Hi Clare
 There are two points here. Wholemeal bread etc is generally considered
healthier, so it's a good choice generally. I'd always eat it out of choice over
white bread for the healthy reason. But that's nothing to do with diabetes
(other than that it's generally considered a good thing for diabetics to eat
healthily as we have enough wrong with our bodies already!). The second point is
that on older insulins, food that was absorbed more slowly generally was better.

 These days with fast-acting insulins, it's not always a good thing to have
slow-acting carbs as sometimes they work too slowly! Although with a pump, you
can always square wave. But there's no necessity either (as a general rule) to
eat only slow acting carbs because modern insulins can often cope with the fast
rise.

 There was a lot of advice given 30 years ago which was valid - or thought to be
valid - at the time. But there have been a lot of advances in diabetes
technology (and knowledge) since! This is why it;s important not to just blindly
follow advice you may have been given a long time ago.

 Note that I'm not saying you should eat white bread! There are lots of good
reasons not to. I just wanted to point out that it's important not to think
carefully about such blanket rules.

 Hope that makes sense. I hate it when people say "diabetics shouldn't eat
that". In 99.9% of cases, it's not constructive.
Di

On 14/03/2014 11:33, Hayward, Clare (SUT) wrote:
> Hi di
>
>   I was just told, 33 years ago when I was diagnosed, to move to brown bread,
> brown rice, brown flour wherever I could etc as "better" - healthier, maybe
> better with insulin and to be honest, I've just followed that all these years
>
 > More fibre, less sugar, more slowly absorbed? I know we can eat everything
and
 > no food per se is "bad" but white bread isn't overly full of much good stuff
-
> that's probably another reason I've avoided the naan breads - a bunch of high
> carbs and not much goodness and I've always battled with my weight I live to
> eat, not eat to live
________________________________

Important Notice

 This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the
addressee.
 If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure copying or distribution
is
prohibited and may be unlawful.You should notify the sender immediately
and delete this message and any attachments without retaining a copy.

Please note that any views or opinions expressed in this message are solely
those of the author and may not represent those of the Company or School.
No liability is accepted by The Girls' Day School Trust for any loss or damage
incurred through use of this e-mail.

The Girls' Day School Trust. A limited company Registered in England No. 6400
 Registered Charity No. 306983. Registered Office: 100 Rochester Row, London
SW1P 1JP