Re: [IPk] hi carb meal/wrong bolus/where did i go wrong?

Hi Clare
There are two points here. Wholemeal bread etc is generally considered
healthier, so it's a good choice generally. I'd always eat it out of
choice over white bread for the healthy reason. But that's nothing to do
with diabetes (other than that it's generally considered a good thing
for diabetics to eat healthily as we have enough wrong with our bodies
already!). The second point is that on older insulins, food that was
absorbed more slowly generally was better.

These days with fast-acting insulins, it's not always a good thing to
have slow-acting carbs as sometimes they work too slowly! Although with
a pump, you can always square wave. But there's no necessity either (as
a general rule) to eat only slow acting carbs because modern insulins
can often cope with the fast rise.

There was a lot of advice given 30 years ago which was valid - or
thought to be valid - at the time. But there have been a lot of advances
in diabetes technology (and knowledge) since! This is why it;s important
not to just blindly follow advice you may have been given a long time ago.

Note that I'm not saying you should eat white bread! There are lots of
good reasons not to. I just wanted to point out that it's important not
to think carefully about such blanket rules.

Hope that makes sense. I hate it when people say "diabetics shouldn't
eat that". In 99.9% of cases, it's not constructive.
Di