Re: [IPk] Warranty on pump

Hi Di

INPUT has been forwarded copies of letters on clinic letterhead informing a
patient that the warranty on their pump is expired, but that they can
expect the same service as usual from the pump company in terms of a
replacement if the pump were to break.

There is actually no legal obligation to replace a pump when the warranty
runs out - where did you get that idea? It just places a patient at risk,
which is (however unfortunately) allowed.

As a recent development, Medtronic will now provide one replacement pump
for a patient when their pump breaks out of warranty, but that pump comes
with a loan agreement that the patient must sign and return to the company.
The patient commits to paying the purchase price of a new pump if they do
not return that replacement to Medtronic within 90 days. That gives the
clinic time to organise the replacement.

Hope that explains a bit!

Melissa