 From: Diana Maynard <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [IPk] Diet

Hmm, I think you're in danger of rather a large generalisation there. I think
it's very dangerous to act the smug "I got diabetes through no fault of my
own, you inflicted it on yourself and don't look after yourself properly."
Millions of people are grossly overweight, don't look after themselves, and
don't have diabetes, so he's still unlucky to have got it when the vast
majority of overweight people don't have it. And you can't possibly know
whether he inflicted it on himself or whether he would have got it anyway,
even if he'd not been overweight.

I lost most of my sight to retinopathy 15 years ago. I didn't look after
myself in my teens and early 20s nearly as well as I should have done.
Self-inflicted? It's possible, but I didn't do it deliberately, I just had
issues that at the time I couldn't deal with. Do you dismiss my sight issues
because you don't have complications and I do? I would hope not. Do you feel
lucky that you don't have any complications yet? My dad lost both his legs
last year after having diabetes for over 50 years. Was it his own fault? Who
knows? Do I feel lucky I still have my legs, even though my dad didn't
regularly test his blood sugar for a good 40 years? Yes I do.

I have several friends with type 2 diabetes who are overweight, and also type
1s who aren't, who don't take it seriously, even though they've seen what
complications can do to other people. I feel sorry for them because I wish I
could get it through to them why it's so important to look after yourself to
at least minimise the risk.
Di