Re: [IPk] Diet

Hmm, I think you're in danger of rather a large generalisation there. I
think it's very dangerous to act the smug "I got diabetes through no
fault of my own, you inflicted it on yourself and don't look after
yourself properly." Millions of people are grossly overweight, don't
look after themselves, and don't have diabetes, so he's still unlucky to
have got it when the vast majority of overweight people don't have it.
And you can't possibly know whether he inflicted it on himself or
whether he would have got it anyway, even if he'd not been overweight.

I lost most of my sight to retinopathy 15 years ago. I didn't look after
myself in my teens and early 20s nearly as well as I should have done.
Self-inflicted? It's possible, but I didn't do it deliberately, I just
had issues that at the time I couldn't deal with. Do you dismiss my
sight issues because you don't have complications and I do? I would hope
not. Do you feel lucky that you don't have any complications yet? My dad
lost both his legs last year after having diabetes for over 50 years.
Was it his own fault? Who knows? Do I feel lucky I still have my legs,
even though my dad didn't regularly test his blood sugar for a good 40
years? Yes I do.

I have several friends with type 2 diabetes who are overweight, and also
type 1s who aren't, who don't take it seriously, even though they've
seen what complications can do to other people. I feel sorry for them
because I wish I could get it through to them why it's so important to
look after yourself to at least minimise the risk.
Di