From: Nanette Freedman <email @ redacted>
Sender: email @ redacted
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:16:36
To: <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IPk] was I hate my pump, now What do you record and why?

Hi Iain, Michelle,

Reading these emails I see that people use temp basals for very
different purposes, and also how different needs for correction
boluses and attitudes towards this are.

I can only commiserate with you Michelle about the limitations of your
pump, since with a Cozmo pump, I can adjust temp basals to the nearest
5%. However in practice I don't often use this precision - you might
well feel that it's wasted on me!

Relating to the various issues you've raised Michelle,
1. I also find that keeping careful diaries has benefits for my
control, but perhaps for different reasons, and I certainly don't
record the details that you do.
2. I experience a lot of variability in my insulin requirements from
day to day and hour to hour - attempting to adjust my basals to
account for this would be a never-ending and fruitless exercise since
all sorts of effects are only for a few days or even for a few hours,
so I bless the easy correction bolus, and just occasionally have days
when it is never needed. I do have different basal profiles to use on
'illness' days, 'exercise' days, and on  'weekend' type days when I
typically eat breakfast much later than usual, and also eat more carbs
overall than on weekdays - since my basal insulin requirements really
change when I go into a lower carb eating pattern, the theory the
classic model of keeping bolus and basal requirements completely
separate just doesn't work for me. And I use temp basals mostly when
exercising, or when I find myself hypo, or also to provide extra
support for correction boluses when I am in an unexplained high BG
patch of a few hours or days.

I think the great thing about a pump is that there is not just one way
to use the various options (even though this may be how some DSN's
have been known to present it), and so it can be used to help you
manage diabetes as you experience it. I do hope you find ways to take
advantage of the positive aspects of your Animas pump until you are
able to get a replacement.

Nanette