Re: [IPk] Carbohydrate Counting

>Does anyone else who counts carbs, count willy nilly like me or do you weigh
>and check everything?  If I weighed it and gave the right amount, she would

If bolusing 'the right' amount based on carbohydrate counting sends
Danielle hypo, 'the right' amount is wrong, not the process of carb

>From what you've said, a lunch with 60gCHO in it needs a bolus of 2.5.
Or, you seem to be saying, a 2.5 drives her hypo.  So perhaps a bolus of
2.3.  That makes her carb-to-CHO ratio AT LUNCH TIME (and perhaps not at
breakfast or dinner) around 1 unit to 26g CHO.

I would try experimenting basing it on a 25g to 1 unit ratio (or, to put
it another way, bolus 0.4 units for every 10g CHO).

It is sometimes assumed that 'carb assessment' means 'weighing
everything' - it doesn't!  Many packages have the CHO per portion on the
back, and after a while you get to do it by eye/feel.

On a day-to-day basis, you are right, one tends to eat 'a normal lunch'
and always bolus the same for it, but you need to know the CHO/insulin
ratio if you are to cope with 'abnormal' lunches - the odd pizza, the
odd lunch with only 10g CHO in it, and so on.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, doing her own CHO assessment since she was 7, and
adjusting insulin-to-carbs since she was 11)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)