Re: [IPk] Carbohydrate Counting

>Does anyone else who counts carbs, count willy nilly like me or do you weigh
>and check everything?  If I weighed it and gave the right amount, she would
>hypo.

Hi,

If bolusing 'the right' amount based on carbohydrate counting sends
Danielle hypo, 'the right' amount is wrong, not the process of carb
counting.

>From what you've said, a lunch with 60gCHO in it needs a bolus of 2.5.
Or, you seem to be saying, a 2.5 drives her hypo.  So perhaps a bolus of
2.3.  That makes her carb-to-CHO ratio AT LUNCH TIME (and perhaps not at
breakfast or dinner) around 1 unit to 26g CHO.

I would try experimenting basing it on a 25g to 1 unit ratio (or, to put
it another way, bolus 0.4 units for every 10g CHO).

It is sometimes assumed that 'carb assessment' means 'weighing
everything' - it doesn't!  Many packages have the CHO per portion on the
back, and after a while you get to do it by eye/feel.

On a day-to-day basis, you are right, one tends to eat 'a normal lunch'
and always bolus the same for it, but you need to know the CHO/insulin
ratio if you are to cope with 'abnormal' lunches - the odd pizza, the
odd lunch with only 10g CHO in it, and so on.

Best wishes,

Pat
(dm 30+, 508 1+, doing her own CHO assessment since she was 7, and
adjusting insulin-to-carbs since she was 11)
--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)