Re: [IPk] Carbohydrate Counting

> Does anyone else who counts carbs, count willy nilly like me or do you
> and check everything?  If I weighed it and gave the right amount, she
> hypo.

Although I am quite adept and estimating carbs I sometimes don't give myself
the full 1u per 10 g
Sometimes I know that I will hypo if I do give it. Othertimes when BGs are
high I increase the ratio in proportion to the increase in temporary basal
rate. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. I never count non
starchy non haricot veg and I give my self some insulin for things like
chick peas/ kidney beans etc but not the full 1unit per 10 g: usually about
2/3 of this. I think some of the decsions are based on intuition, some past
experience of what BGsare and have been doing, and on whether a hypo would
be particularly disastrous, as well as fat contents and glycaemic index.
There is some inpredictability still and I am sure a lot of this is just a
reflection of basal requirements altering. I should do more fasting tests to
see if these are correct, but I would be skipping a meal every day to check
on this as things are changing so much at the moment