[IPk] Carbohydrate Counting

Hello everyone

I must be the only one on these lists that doesn't count the carbohydrate as
it should be.  For example, if Danielle had an apple I would ask her to bolus
0.5 but if it was an extra large one (like those from New Zealand) I would
say 1.0 unit but that is very rare.  When she has an orange, I say 0.5 unit
and a packet of crisps are 1.0 unit no matter which variety.

OK, so some of you might be wondering how I have come to this.  Well, I was
told to count the carbohydrate and work precisely with it while she is on the
pump (obviously because she has no background insulin apart from the basal
rate going in).  If I was to add up the carbohydrate in Danielle's lunchbox
by looking at the packet, she would be on the floor having a seizure.  Today,
she had 2 thick slices of bread with tuna, mayonnaise and sweetcorn, a tube
yoghurt, a chocolate biscuit bar and a drink of apple juice (some of it
natural apple).  The total carbohydrate should have been 60g which means 3
units for her but I put a note in that she should have 2.5 units and she
still went too low even though she was 11.0 before she ate her lunch.

What I have found is that I can't count everything individually for lunch
etc.  I have to say, right, here is a meal of normal standard, ie,
sandwiches, yoghurt, biscuit and drink and give 2.5 units. The total
carbohydrate of this would be more if I read the individual labels but I
can't do it that way.

Someone in her class said the other day "God Danielle, you go low every
single day" and she does.  Thing is, she is on a low basal rate and only
gives her insulin according to what she has eaten, less a half unit or so to
be on the safe side.

Does anyone else who counts carbs, count willy nilly like me or do you weigh
and check everything?  If I weighed it and gave the right amount, she would

Mum to Danielle aged 8 dx Aug 2001, now on pump self-funded
D myself etc