Re: [IPk] Tighter control and hypo unawareness

I had an initial reaction to human insulin exactly like yours - no warning
symptoms etc, so I arranged to stay on porcine insulin. That was quite a
production, having to call a long distance number and get special approval
etc, and resulted with a bureaucrat telling me I was "using too much
insulin" and so he wouldn't send me any more! VERY upsetting, so I decided
to try the human insulin again. (He obviously had no concept that insulin
requirements can change daily, and they had been advised of my "usual"
insulin requirements).

After a few months I regained my hypo awareness (thank God). The only
explanation I ever got for it was that it was still not as refined as the
animal insulins (it was called monocomponent insulin here) and that things
would improve. Hardly reassuring! At least my endocrinologist accepted and
believed I was having the problems I claimed, and DID make an effort to
keep me on porcine insulin (and was also very wary when I chose to try the
MC insulin again). Yet again, it seems to be a very personal reaction to
specific stimuli ... The further refinement seems to have sorted it for me
largely. (Now I just have other diabetic dramas to deal with!!!)