Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #359 - hyypo unawareness

In a message dated 19/03/03 14:53:47 GMT Standard Time, email @ redacted

> >>If you don't have hypo awareness does this mean you aren't aware of high
> bg's as well?  Because I don't have real symptons there either, and am
> sometimes very surprised to realise I've reached 20.  Also I have
> discovered
> that I frequently have got such a thirst but am actually having a hypo.
> Does this happen to anyone else??

Heather, sometimes I get a terrific thirst when my BG is low, especially if
it's below 3.  In fact, if other symptoms are not present then it would be
easy to mistake it for a high. But I always test at any odd symptom I get as
they change so much and I do have other illnesses which make me feel lousy on
their own, so I have to be sure.
Incidentally, the headaches with a low BG? Any one know what causes them?
Coming out of the hypo doesn't help, nor does normal pain relief. They are a
real 'pain' (literally)!
On the subject of brain damage through hypo's, yes, it can happen. I know of
two people who, due to repeated hypo's (and one due to hardly ever being
above hypo as her parents insisted on such tight control) have epilepsy and
mild learning difficulties. And these were normal, in fact intelligent,
people. It seems such a fine line.