[IPk] Labelling supplies for flying

>Pat, you say that you need a label. Would a pharmacy print these off
so they
>would go on all the items? My pens aren't labelled as I got them from
>DSN. I will make sure that these are in place this time. I didn't know
>the last time. Thanks.

Syringes, needles, pens etc do not need labels to be carried, so long
as they are accompanied by insulin, which is somewhere identified by a
pharmacy label with your and the pharmacie's name on it. The label does
not have to be on each cartridge or vial. As long as you have the box
for any any insulin cartridge within a pen device, you will be fine. In
practice, this means it is best to have at least one empty blister
within a box of cartridges, to make it clear where the in-use cartridge
came from. Bbtw, pharmacies can only print labels for items they are
actually dispensing.

Another way around any  is to ask your GP/D-team for a prescription for
disposable pens to cover you while you are away. The pens themselves
then go in the box with the label, thus hopefully reducing any
confusion. I personally prefer disposable pens anyway, because loss,
damage etc doesn't matter, and you can more easily leave one at work/at
best friends house etc in case you ever forget your insulin. (One of my
fiends recently found an out of date disposable Actrapid pen floating
around at his parents house - I haven't used Actrapid since 1997!!)
Most insulins are now available as disposable pen devices.

Also, it is always wise to carry an unfilled prescription written for
both the brand (e.g Lantus) and generic (e.g glargine) names not only
for security reasons, but also to aid getting more supplies should
anything happen to your originals. I've found having a prescription has
helped enormously in these circumstances.

Caroline Batistoni