Re: [IPk] Re: Flying (again)

Hi ..
I put this experience down to one uneducated individual and a lack of
communication between the two carrier airlines. I am all for extra security
at airports (being a very nervous traveller)! After all, it is for all our
own safety these stringent checks are carried out. I don't mind being
searched and go along with whatever they ask. If you get aggresive and argue,
life will be harder for you. These people are, after all, only doing their
jobs. I have always carried a letter and have always informed airlines before
flying. That way, there can be no come back on me by them saying they weren't
informed. (Although, due to the lack of communication between the two
carriers at Washington, this did happen, but through no fault of my own).
Incidentally, I wouldn't have been able to get on a later flight. (Last one
of the day that day, people waiting at PHL for me to arrive, etc). I checked
in at Manchester nearly 4 hours before time, and my conncection from
Washington to Philadelphia had only 3/4 hour to spare. But, as this was the
MAN - PHL flight I was booked on, then this shouldn't have mattered. In the
end, it turned out it did and now the airline in question have discontinued
that particular route for the reason that you couldn't arrive earlier enough
for the check in at Washington!
Pat, you say that you need a label. Would a pharmacy print these off so they
would go on all the items? My pens aren't labelled as I got them from the
DSN. I will make sure that these are in place this time. I didn't know that
the last time. Thanks.
Also, you say they try and keep the fact quiet that you may be carrying
sharps? I can understand that but this was most definitely not my experience.
On the way back, as I say I was classed as 'high security' (the staff at PHL
told me as I checked in and were very apologetic. They told me so as I was
aware that I would be watched carefully and thoroughly searched at each
checkpoint and gate). And boy, they kept to their word! I was searched at all
points, bodily and my luggage/hand luggage. The stuff got taken in and out
more times than I can remember! I had two personnel checking every single
item of my hand luggage at the third search before boarding at PHL, passing
each item between them and reconfirming what it was. Everyone in that line
behind me could plainly see what I was carrying and could hear them talking
about the insulin, sharps, etc. The same had happened during the searches
when I arrived at check in at PHL. Lovely staff but in front of a line of
people and right next to a downward escalator. No privacy at all. There was
certainly no attempt to keep it quiet and hidden from others. Any terrorist
could have had a really good view!
Anyhow, I am sticking to US airways policy and will get those labels. They
say a prescription would be good, too, and I know my friend in the US whose
son is type 1 always carries a script as evidence.
BW Helen