Re: [IPk] Re: Flying (again)

Confusion rather than b/s: you need to prove that you need the sharps
for medical reasons, and the way the US govt. demands you do this is by
having the medication (i.e. insulin) with your name (must be same as
passport name!) on it.

Some govts. say you must have a doctor's letter, rather than the
medication, but the US recons it's easy to forge a doctor's letter, and
a bit more difficult to forge a pharmacy label.

You don't need a label on _everything_, just one bottle of insulin.

The us insulin pumpers site has a link to the us govt. website where all
this is lain out fair and square (and those of us who work for
government can see that security have a pretty much identical set of
desk instructions).

As to being a security risk: yes, a diabetic with sharps _is_ a security
risk, if identified to other passengers - not because a diabetic's going
to try and take over the plane with his or her syringes, but because
there may be a terrorist onboard, looking for an opportunity.  This is
why airlines (although this message doesn't always get down to
employees) and security (ditto), want diabetics to get through screening
without being searched.  They don' _want_ to know you are carrying
sharps.  They want you to look just like any other passenger.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, just back from Palermo, via Roma on the out, Milano on
the back, 2 hrs late due to missed connection, six-course dinners, five-
course lunches, and a bg of 6.2 this morning - _no_ bother!)

In message <000201c2eb0c$550dd520$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>was so humiliating!
>> The upshot was I wrote to the. Theirs is that
>> these items can be carried on but each item MUST have a professionally
>> printed drs or pharmacy label or accompanying prescription with my name
>> Plus, the airline must be informed beforehand and a drs letter MUST be
>> carried.
>Complete BS
>insulin delivary systems ( syringe/ pen/ pump) CAN be taken on or worn if
>accompanied by insulin with a professionally printed pharmacy label. metres/
>strips and lancets can be taken on if the metre has the name of the
>manufacturer on it. The security person was toatally unprofessional and in
>breach of regulations. If you had been in less of a hurry you would have had
>time to see a senior person and demand proper treatment
>pump supplies don't even come with a prescription

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)