Re: [IPk] Question on lowering BG's

In a message dated 3/16/2003 5:01:17 PM GMT Standard Time, email @ redacted

> however, I've been told that my BG's should be in the region
> of 4 - 6 rather than 6 - 9. I've been told by the consultant and by the
> DSN's
> to try and get used to lower BG's.
Hi Helen,

I'm very surprised by this.

It's certainly true that the norm for non-diabetic bg is 3-6 mmol, but for
most diabetics this is impractical/impossible/doesn't allow enough leeway,
unless your control is stable and wonderful. My local centre, which has
expertise in pump management, advocate higher bgs - 6 to 9 is fine. (Wish I
could achieve that more often!)

Is there any chance that they're confusing bg range with HbA1c range? - the
risk of some complications rises exponentially over 8, and "good" control has
been defined in various studies as HbA1c < 7.5.  A bg mostly in the 6 -9 mmol
range would achieve the latter.

IDDM 30 yrs+, 508 2+