[IPk] Question on lowering BG's

Here's a thing.
Twenty eight years ago when I was dx with type 1 at the age of 8, I was
stabilized at a BG of 7. Apparently, or so I've been told by my parents and
from what I can remember from the nurses at the time, they tested my parents
and said this was the average BG so it would be the ideal one for me. Over
the last year, however, I've been told that my BG's should be in the region
of 4 - 6 rather than 6 - 9. I've been told by the consultant and by the DSN's
to try and get used to lower BG's.
Now, what they didn't and couldn't, when I asked them, tell me is how I get
used to them! I feel symptoms of a hypo around 5.9mmol/l. If my BG is 6.0 and
I leave it, more often than not it will continue to drop. At 5.0 or lower I
am hypo and not able to carry out my normal activities. I know that people do
cope OK at these BG's and that these are 'normal' for most of the population
and much better control together with less risk of complications can occur. I
was told that when I was dx, 7 was the norm to be stabilized at but that has
changed now, and rightly so. But what I need to know is, how do I lower it
without feeling hypo? Has anyone had any experience of doing this? Taking
time out to get used to this is not an option, with two kids and a job. I
have tried, (had a low run these past few days) by not correcting my BG when
it was 5.5 or near to that, but I ended up with a stinking headache and
feeling nauseous.
The interesting thing is, although neither of my parents nor my brothers have
diabetes, my dad and my brother both suffer from mild feelings of
hypoglyceamia and have to eat regularly. My dad feels 'hypo' when he is below
7 and the doc checked my brothers BG and he is the same. Don't know whether
this has any bearing on things or is just coincidence.
Any advice will be gratefully received!