Re: [IPk] Re: Flying (again)

Hi Mary,

I haven't heard of a standardised card-type thing, but that doesn't mean
there isn't one out there. Yet given that such a card might prove useless if
it had a message in several languages but not in the language of the place
where I needed help, I would try to learn how to say 'I have diabetes and I
need medical attention' in the language of whatever non-Anglophone place I
might be visiting. Having that phrase written down in the relevant alphabet
(as well as phoenetically, for my own benefit) and putting the card in my
purse might be a good idea too.

If I were going to central or southern Africa especially, I'd want to know
some 'magic' words in at least two languages other than English. In the
absence of someone who could tell me what to say personally, I'd try looking
up the various language courses on offer at the University of London and
contacting whoever teaches whatever language(s) might be relevant. Adverts
in the lifts at the Russell Square tube stop given me that idea.

IDDM 9+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years