Re: [IPk] Re: Flying (again)

I've flown a few times and twice to the USA. Never had problems but always
carried a doctors letter (if your GP or consultant is OK they don't usually
charge for this) to say I was type 1 and had to carry syringes, etc. However,
last April I ran into a few problems with United Airlines at Washington
Dulles Airport. I had shown the letter and informed the airline by telephone
beforehand that I would be travelling alone and would be carrying sharps in
my hand luggage. My first leg of the flight was with BMI, who just checked
the letter, then supposedly faxed it through to Washington/United airlines as
the change over was tight (about 1/2 hour to connect). All fine until then.
But got stopped by the most rude and generally difficult female security
person on my way to the aircraft. She turned me back and insisted on
searching my hand luggage. I almost missed the flight. Then was told that it
was United's policy not to allow anyone to carry sharps of any type onto the
aircraft and my previously cleared hand luggage was too large for their
plane. It was taken from me, physically, and put into the hold. I had nothing
with me, not even my passport, as I had not been given time to take anything
from my bag due to the delay being searched. Anyhow, on my return I was
classed as 'high security risk'! It was so humiliating!
The upshot was I wrote to the airline. They said that they had not had the
letter faxed through to Uniteds desk, (but I did show it). They also said my
meds didn't have my name on a pharmacy label on them. OK, some did but my pen
devices (two in hand luggage plus spares in cases) did not. (When they're in
use you can't)! Plus, I had spare cartridges in my bag without labels. They
also reiterated Uniteds policy on no sharps.
Well, we plan to fly to the US again in July, as a family. I have looked at
the policy of US airways, who we will be using this time. Theirs is that
these items can be carried on but each item MUST have a professionally
printed drs or pharmacy label or accompanying prescription with my name on.
Plus, the airline must be informed beforehand and a drs letter MUST be
carried. It's well worth visiting the airlines site first and phoning each
carrier beforehand.
I know all this is only for the security of all those involved, espec after
Sept 11th. I will try somehow to get labels for these items...I'll ask my
pharmacist who is very obliging. And i'll try and get unfilled prescriptions,