Re: [IPk] Is a degree a prerequisite of understanding diabetes?

email @ redacted writes:

> I'm quite aware that people are just making the point that 'even'
> intelligent people (with a degree as a mark of intelligence(?)) don't
> understand their colleague's/friend's diabetes but it doesn't take
> intelligence to be sensitive to other's needs, does it?
I thought we were talking about the problems with attitudes and ignorance of
people who have responsibilities for others in their care - teachers and
medics are examples, but by no means exclusively so -  and those who, as
colleagues, should be better informed (medics in particular).  Not just
diabetes, although that is obviously the main focus of interest to those on
this list.  "Should know better" perhaps is an appropriate comment.

As diabetics we each have a responsibility to ensure that those with whom we
have significant contact (family, colleagues, friends, those in charge) are
aware of our condition and informed of what to do if anything happens, and
that they are happy to act.  That probably extends to explaining to others
that blood tests will be carried out - many people object to this for good
reason (faint at sight, for example!).  As I said, I routinely explain to any
new members of my team (medics as well as non-medics) that I have to test bgs
and is it OK with them if I do it at my desk?  Some prefer to avert their
eyes but most are fine.

The shock expressed in this list was that those casually encountered who
should be most used to "procedures" such as bg testing were intolerant.
Perhaps because they were "off-duty" at the time (your attitude changes when
you go from "medic/teacher" etc to "lay person" persona).

This could apply equally well to those involved in nursery or child care,
sports facilities etc.

I do agree with the last part of the mail above, and particularly Melissa's
response.  I know far too many academically qualified and gifted folk who
have little understanding of sensitivity, compassion and real life.

IDDM 30+ yrs, 508 2+