RE: [IPk] Is a degree a prerequisite of understanding diabetes?

I would argue that it takes both intelligence and compassion to understand
diabetes. Cleverness and intelligence are not necessarily the same. Eight
years of higher education have shown me time and again that many very
clever, highly 'degreed' individuals possess limited intelligence and less
compassion. Intelligence seems to entail a sense that the more one learns,
the more one realises one does not and may never know, but one has to do
what one can with what one has. A lot of very clever people I know can't
admit that they don't know something, but it's amazing how far they get if
they bluff well. Yet I hope that intelligent people--with or without
degrees--live more fulfilled lives and give more to others than bluffers.
There's less risk of feeling like your position is being challenged and
having to yell at someone who asks a question if you're honest about your
limitations. I bet a lot of us have seen the differences between
intelligence and cleverness in our relationships with medical personnel
charged with helping us manage diabetes.

Probably ruffling feathers,

IDDM 9+ years; Minimed pumper 6+ years

D.Phil. candidate, Faculty of Modern History
Balliol College