Re: [IPk] Yet another rant

email @ redacted writes:

> .  One thing I particularly remember is continuously refilling
> the test bottle before my hospital appointment to make sure my glucose level
> was 0 or trace.  That way I would be told how well I was doing

Naughty girl!
Me too...

This is a bit of a mixed bag of responses to lots of emails to the group.

Diagnosed at 13 (after 2 years of symptoms - but that's another story) I was
basically told to fend for myself and I just had to get on with it -
injections, diet, the lot. My parents never checked anything, they were
always up to their eyes working or keeping the rest of the family in order.
The only responsibility I didn't have was boiling up the syringes etc because
Mum thought it was dangerous, though funnily enough I was allowed to use the
oven/hob etc to cook (five kids, YT the eldest, the eldest gets on with stuff
like cooking and housework while poor shattered Mum, also doing night work,
copes with the babies...).

I did cope, but once I'd left home for med school I was free!!  Oxford Uni
students with diabetes, freed from home, have nothing special about them that
stops them enjoying, and overenjoying, freedom.  I did too.  Fortunately I
had some good friends who after a good night out knew how to test my bgs.

Tori, I so agree and identify with you.

I think it's a good idea to teach your kids how to cope with everything in
life from an early age, although when to teach this is the moot point.  As
much as they can handle, I'd say, but be aware that children are not able to
cope with certain concepts until they reach certain ages.