RE: [IPk] Getting a pump via the PCT

Hi Tim

I have had type 1 since I was 11 (now 36) and have been on a
pump for the last 18 months.  I can identify with everything
you say.  I gained weight on MDI as I also experienced night
time hypos and had to take a lot of glucose (usually Mars
bars in my case!).  I have found since going on the pump that
I use a lot less insulin and of the insulin I do take, I need
a lot more per hour (double in fact) between 1am and 4am and
less after this time.  I now experience no night time hypos
and have lost 1.5 stones!  I can also exercise much more
easily.  Exercise is difficult as everyone's insulin
requirements are different.  Most people require less
insulin, but some require more (I am in this group most of
the time althoug it depends on the type of exercise).  A pump
enables you to respond to your requirements.  I ran my first
half-marathon last September - proving that anything is

I hope it all goes well for you.

Beverley Smith
Consultant Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader