Fren: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] Fvr
Skickat: den 7 mars 2003 10:08
Till: email @ redacted
Dmne: Re: [IPk] Rant: Whose diabetes is it anyway?

This is a very complex situation to try and analyse, and I don't think
one "rule" or theory holds true for all young diabetics. I was diagnosed
age 4. My mother was my primary care-giver as far as my diabetes went
for a
long time, and although she encouraged me to be independent, and I'm
attempted to educate me on the importance of control etc, it really
sink in.

Back then, of course, there were no such things as glucometers, but I
that if my urine tests came back "negative" or "trace" everyone was very

happy! So, even when they said 2%, I would assure my mother it was neg
trace. We also had to deal with a paediatrician who wasn't very
knowledgeable about diabetes at all, and didn't feel a child would
understand or comply with directions. A recipe for disaster. Add to that

the fact that MDI and CSII were a thing of the future. As may have been
predicted, I ended up in hospital with very severe DKA at age 11, for
2-3mths. Finally my mother moved me to a new doctor 250miles away to try

and get control of the situation.

The new doctor was a marvel. He treated me as a responsible person who
could take care of herself. Over time he kept my mother informed, but it

was I who made all management decisions. He put me on the pump after a
of MDI.

You'd think that would do it really wouldn't you?

It didn't. I am an educated person, I was a gifted child, I was very
capable of understanding what I was doing and the potential risks I was
taking. Did it stop me from indulging in risky behaviours? Hell, no! I
didn't want to hear it. The pump was seen by me to be my saviour - at
I was free to behave *just like everyone else*. Because my mother no
had control of my diabetic management, it was very easy for me to keep
in the dark. I refused to test my blood sugar for almost 25 years
I did submit to 3-day hospital visits where I was profiled every 3mths).

The point is, I loved the freedom, I loved being "non-diabetic" for all
intents and purposes (although I have *never* been ashamed of my
I loved not having to worry.

To cut a long story short, I fell pregnant (twice) unexpectedly after I
married at age 20, and my HbA1cs were ridiculously high for pregnancy
17), and yet I still had two beautiful, normal, healthy (although
premature) daughters. I KNOW how lucky I was. Did I learn? God, no!

When did I learn? Sadly, only after another very severe DKA experience
1987 where I almost died and after my mother died 6.5 years ago. I don't

believe that I was doing things to appease authorities at all, I was
things because I never believed I would have a long life anyway, and I
(and am) determined to make every single second count. I was behaving
irrationally and irresponsibly because I'd gotten away with it for so
I was doing things because I refused to be held back by diabetes. I
managed to pick up on hypos and treat them quickly - and the DKAs
over months before I hit breaking point, so my body was unaware anything

was wrong. After my Mum died, i suddenly realised I was only answerable
me, I no longer had a safety net.

How do you teach a child to be responsible? I wish I knew. I wish my
had known. I do think it's important that children's questions are
*completely* rather than attempting to protect them by leaving out the
nastier things that can happen. I also think it's important that
children communicate with older diabetics who have *been there* - it
their stories far more credence than someone who has for example
dm at age 15, or 20, or who is not diabetic at all. I think children
be allowed to rant and rage at the unfairness of it all, and grieve what

they "might have had". I think children shouldn't be disciplined for
errors that anyone could make - even people who have been diabetic for
10, 20 or 50 years. I think parents have to remember that their diabetic

children are people first, and diabetics second. They are normal people
just happen to have a chronic illness. I do think children should
(and how you teach this, I do not know) that when they cheat or refuse
test or do silly/stupid things, they are only hurting themselves, no-one

else. Bodies are not a weapon to emotionally blackmail others with, they

are not a tool which can be repaired after you seriously damage them.
of all, just love them, and let them know you'll stand by them, no
matter what.