RE: [IPk] Good News and Confusion!

Hi Lesley

>>if you wear your pump in a jacuzzi or sauna
the insulin in the infusion tubing would cook.  However, if I
disconnect and
leave just the Tender in situ, won't the little bit of
insulin in the cannula
be affected?<<

I have found in both jacuzzis and saunas that blood sugars do
not rise.  Basically the heat means that things remain pretty
stable or even that they fall a little.  I don't go that
often but I have never noticed any problem with insulin
'going off' and experiencing high blood sugars later on.  I
would be interested to know how long I would have to sit in
either before eventually my blood sugars started to rise
(this experiment might be easier in a jacuzzi rather than a
sauna).  As I said before one and a half hours in a jacuzzi
with pump disconnected caused no problems whatsoever.

Beverley Smith
Consultant Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader
ph 0118 929 2422