Re: SV: [IPk] Good News and Confusion!

Thanks to Ishtar and Beverley for bringing up the bg-lowering effects of hot
water. I'd heard about the studies and sort of dismissed the findings as
coincidental--but a few weeks ago I changed my tune.

I now have a part-time job at the Lush shop in Oxford. Lush does great bath
and body stuff (see http://www.lush.co.uk). One of my favourite things is
the Butterball bath ballistic, which has cocoa butter chips that melt in the
bath. You have to get the water good and hot to melt the chips. One night I
had a bg of 19 (!) and was feeling stressed generally. I bolused 5.5 units
units of Humalog and then had a quite hot bath with a Butterball. By the
time I was out of the tub and dry about 30 mins. later, my bg had plummeted
to 4! My bg *never* goes down by 15 mmol/L that fast!! I hadn't exercised
that day either, so I couldn't put the drop down to glucose going back into
muscles. Now I have filed 'bolus and then take a hot bath' with 'leave basal
rate as normal and go for a hard run' in my list of quick bg fixes.

Ah, diabetes: more art than science, I say....

IDDM 9+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years; Lush addict just shy of 3 years