Re: [IPk] Good News and Confusion!

Hi Karen,

I had the same thing happen several times before I had an epiphany. As
Humalog is so short-acting, one can see rises in bg that can last a couple
of hours even after suspending for a short time if one does not bolus quite
a lot to make up for lost insulin.

For instance, say you are normally on a 1.3 u./hr. basal rate, your normal
carb : insulin ratio is 13 g : 1 u, and your normal correction bolus ratio
is 1u per 2.2 m/mol above 5.6 m/mol. You need to think about the amount of
basal insulin you are missing if you disconnect, unless you are doing
strenuous exercise (or at least really moving around) to burn glucose.

If you had the set-up I just described, which is basically my afternoon
profile, you would have underbolused by almost a unit. You would have needed
1.3 + .6, or 1.9 units, for 1.5 hours off pump. Not taking (say) .7 u. when
your bg reached 6.7 would mean that it would keep going up--there's no
intermediate-acting 'safety net' (as it were) anymore.

As for keeping the pump dry: I always put mine under my (folded) towel on my
chair at the pool, along with my bg meter. Unless someone intends to use my
towel, my meter and my pump remain well hidden, dry, in my sight, and easy
to get at if I need them. Of course, it could be very awkward to reconnect
if you're wearing a one-piece swimsuit!! It might be worth looking into
those 'tankini and shorts' suits: a top that looks like a regular swimsuit
plus loose-fitting shorts with a liner would be very modest but allow access
to your tummy as well as a waistband to which to attach the pump if you
needed to stand by the side of the pool and watch the kids for a couple of

It's amazing how a few tenths of a unit--increments so small they're nigh
impossible to measure in a regular 30-unit syringe--can make such a big
difference when one's on just Humalog in a pump!

BIG CONGRATS on the fantastic HbA1c and the great news from your

IDDM 9+ years; MiniMed pumper 6+ years