Re: [IPk] People who don't care.....

In message <email @ redacted>, Caroline Jane
Batistoni <email @ redacted> writes
>I'm feeling fed up today and want to have a moan.
>I don't know too many other type 1's, but unfortunately one of those
>that I do know, and that quite a lot of my friends know pretty well too,
>simply doesn't care about her diabetes. I completely respect people's
>right to deal with, or indeed neglect, their own health as they choose,
>but right now its undermining my right to actually care a lot about my
>diabetes. Which is my reason for venting here amongst others who do
>actually care about their health.

One of the really nasty, horrid sneaky things about diabetes is that not
only do we cycle through denial, and anger, and grief and acceptance, to
those outside, denial looks like the best reaction, when actually it is
the most harmful.

The anger and the grief pretty much take care of themselves (anger is
pretty useful if focused!, and a duvet helps both).  Denial is unuseful,
and hospitals, family and friends edge us towards denial when we are
angry or griefstriken.

My guess is you are making this person feel uncomfortable, edging her
out of denial (good thing!).

As to your friends and tutors - you can either explain that this person
is self-harming, and you are self-caring (if you are the kind of person
who doesn't mind saying such things about others), or you could point at
your changing basal needs: say 'her body's pretty stable, she never
needs to change her basal insulins, but mine need changing very

Best wishes to all,

(who got up because a cat was sick under the bed.  Yuck.  Sick because
she'd half-eaten some creature.  More yuck.  I'm in denial about the
grace and beauty and companionship of cats, obviously)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)