Re: [IPk] NICE Implications for Funding

Hi Susan,

Has your doctor told you he won't be supporting you?

I thought it was need for assistance, not awareness which was the key?
If it's awareness, then it's dead easy - everyone knows, and its well
documented in the literature that one severe hypo, or several hypos, can
lead to unawareness....

Best wishes,

In message <email @ redacted>, Susan Morrow
<email @ redacted> writes
>I've just had a look at the web site Scotlands equivalent to
>NICE (Health Technology Board) and have discovered that they
>will be implementing the recommendations made by NICE without
>For those with hypo unawareness it must be good news, however
>I am disappointed that this is only the criteria for funding
>as I have been extremely lucky never to have had problems
>with hypo unawareness.
> I started the pump due to the dawn
>phenomenon depsite trying numerous insulin regimens etc.. My
>control has improved so much since starting the pump that I
>can now wake in the morning pretty confident that my BGs will
>not be sky high. My overall control has improved, I'm able to
>do my job more effectively and my quality of life has
>improved remarkedly.
>Is it still worth me persuing funding or should I just accept
>the fact that I will have to pay for my own pump and
>supplies? Maybe I should give the new basal insulin a shot
>but I can't imagine how I would cope without the flexibility
>that a pump has given me.
>IDDM 16 years, D-TRON 2yrs 9 months

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)