RE: [IPk] People who don't care.....

Hi Caroline

 I know just how you feel, when Sasha, then aged 6 started to need to test her
BG at school because I was
 concerned that at the slightest hint anything was wrong the staff would treat
it as if she was having a
 hypo which resulted most the time in making her bg sky high, they used to say
that the other child there,
 who was the same age at Sasha, didn't NEED to do this. Plus he was only using
Insultard at one time and
 not any short acting insulin at all!!! Also two of my best friends know a
mutual friends son who has had
 diabetes for nearly 18 years and is still on a two a day regimen and I can see
them thinking that I make
 too much fuss. They point to Tom and say "well hes fine isn't he"! When I
pointed out that once he had
 a severe hypo and was unconscious for 24 hours with brain swelling they hadn't

 I have know several people during my childhood and adulthood who had diabetes
and thought that I knew
 quite a lot about it. It was only when Sasha became diabetic that I realised I
hardly knew anything!!

 I don't know if you can ever expect lay people to understand the importance of
good control is when many
 doctors and nurses seem pretty ignorant about lots of aspects of diabetes care.
Just carry on doing what
your doing and when people seem receptive educate them a little.

 I have to take meds for arthritis and I have had friends tell me they would not
take the meds I have to
 take due to the risk of severe side effects but they don't have to live with
the disease and the effects
 of leaving the disease untreated. They seem to have the impression that a
change of diet will cure
it!!!!  I feel like slapping people sometimes!!