[IPk] People who don't care.....

I'm feeling fed up today and want to have a moan.

I don't know too many other type 1's, but unfortunately one of those
that I do know, and that quite a lot of my friends know pretty well too,
simply doesn't care about her diabetes. I completely respect people's
right to deal with, or indeed neglect, their own health as they choose,
but right now its undermining my right to actually care a lot about my
diabetes. Which is my reason for venting here amongst others who do
actually care about their health.

This particular person takes mixtard twice daily and rarely, if ever,
tests her blood sugar or injects in public. In fact, she rarely carries
any kind of diabetes paraphenalia around (and guesses at treating
hypos!) The problem is that she makes it look easy. Despite the fact
that in terms of long term health she is probably doing herself no
favours, in the short term she manages ok - very few hypos as a
consequence of not having, or attempting for "tight" control. Because I
sometimes have hypos (by which I mean times when I need some Lucozade -
not even hypos that require intervention from others(not often now,
anyway!)) and devote a reasonable amount of time to testing blood sugars
and generally looking after myself, some of my friends, and even those
wonderful tutors of mine, compare the two of us and jump to the
conclusion that I'm making a fuss about nothing, and also that I'm
'failing' in some way because of a few hypos. It really hurts.

The issue isn't even all about understanding the effort required to
control diabetes well, (although sometimes it would be nice if people
did) its about the simple fact that people can't respect my right to
want good health and to do what it takes to achieve it, not just for
the short-term, but the long-term as well.

Ok, moan over.

Caroline Batistoni