[IPk] Re: healthy diet option for Type 2s

Yikes on a bike, I'm Type 2 (OK going on weird) but if I tried 2 days
rotation diet like the one you outlined on a two injection a day
regime - I'd be in trouble BIG TIME!  Maybe there are some Type 2s
out there whose system would let them cope with it but mine certainly
wouldn't.  I always remind myself that DM is very idiopathic.

What sort of insulin is your friend using to inject twice a day?
Mixed?  If so what?

If mixed - and I presume it is at least partly intermediate acting -
how on earth can she inject "just the right amount of
insulin to cover the food you eat."  ?  OK with Humalog/Lispro you
can do this but not if it's intermediate acting or actrapid/regular
which takes longer to take effect.

What are your friend's fbgs?

Not enough info given to offer opinion - really.
If she's newly dxed and even if not, I'd recommend she read "Type 2
Diabetes: An essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed"  writen by
Gretchen Becker (herself a Type 2 but a scientist and very
knowledgable).  It's published by Marlowe & Company and is available
at Amazon, Barns and Noble and other bookstores.  (around #10 or RRP
in US of $14.95 - no need to pay that).  I've learned a lot from it
even after 23 years of doing the walk with this darn disease and
Gretchen discusses various options for diets/WOE or whatever and
pushes none.

I have no vested interest in this book despite the fact I know
Gretchen - just found it very helpful and readable and I've loaned it
to newbies who found it helped lift the fog, fear and ignorance often
associated with dx.

Personally I go for a moderately low carb way of eating and use the
Glycemic Index to help.  Also go for Extra Virgin Olive Oil,
monounsat fat route and eat some fruit and veg and definitely cover
the 5 portions per day without going over 70g carb total.  I just
choose my fruits and veggies carefully and add herbs, spices, seeds
and appropriate nuts etc to keep the trace elements etc in balance.

I still need 5 or 6 injections a day (involving 2 basal intermediate
acting and 3 or 4 humalog)  to do this, although insulin doses are
lower than on the higher carb route.  For me this reduces bloating,
blood pressure levels and keeps most of the neuropathy in bowels
reasonably under control.

If your friend keeps good DM control on 2 injections a day - more
power to her elbow :-)  If I sound faintly envious - it could be
because I am <G>