Re: [IPk] High Blood sugars :(

Hi Julian,

Your clinic should have taught you what to do -

The rules are: hit the magic number (13, 14 or 15 - I've heard all
three, I was taught 14 but use 15).

First thing: do you know why you are high?  If 'yes' (e.g. 'I have a
fever', or 'I forgot to bolus for breakfast', then skip the rest of this
exercise, and follow the rules for that kind of known high).

Second thing: bolus enough to get you down to 'normal' (for me, 5).

Third thing: measure bg again in an hour.  Is it on the way down?  If
yes, measure again in an hour: if still dropping, sigh, and go back to
normal monitoring.  If not going down at 1st or 2nd hour: test for
ketones.  Inject by syringe.  And change the site.

Fourth thing: Check again in an hour.  If still not dropping, ring
hospital - something majorly wrong is happening.

Sometimes unexpected highs go down nicely and I hit 5 in 4 hours or so
after noticing the high.  Sometimes there appears to be an absorption
problem, and I go hypo from the correction bolus (particularly in the 24
hrs after drinking alcohol).  Very occasionally there is reduction, but
it's not as far as normal (falling from 15 to 10, say, rather than the
15 to 6 that I bolused for).  Often this is followed by a cold.

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 9months+, and amazed at how a 15 is now something to
respond to as an emergency, rather than something everyday!)

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>Has anyone got any suggestions here.  My bloods have recently been quite good:
>- 9 in general.  Today they have been a little high between 10 and 14.  Now it
>has shot up to 22.3  There is no blockage in the infusion set, no air, I did a
>small prime and the insulin is coming out ok.  I'm not ill or anything like
>and have had a normal day in respect of activity.  I've bolused correctly etc
>etc.  Does this happen to anyone else?

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)