Re: [IPk] Weight and diet

Greetings, all, from a long lost list member. I have been around, but I
haven't had the chance to check my mail properly for a couple of weeks!

Unlike most people that post to this list, I have trouble maintaining a
weight in the target normal range. I am almost always borderline
underweight. So, I think I know something about keeping weight off!

Essentially, I agree with Anne's comments. I am vegetarian and I tend to eat
lots of plates of vegetables and pulses (lentils,etc), lots of salads. The
only advice the dietician ever really has for me in terms of putting on
weight is 'eat more fat'. Which I do. I eat layers of butter on my ryvita,
so thick I have made others a bit nauseous when they see me eating it.

Most 'health conscious' people these days don't actually eat much fat
because they're eating all these horrible low fat yogurts, etc. So fat is
probably not your problem. I suggest fruit and vegetables for some of the
grain-based carbs in your meals, and eating fruit and veg as snacks. A very
filling and magnificent mixed salad may have only 30-40g of carb in it. To
get the same filling effect from a grain-based meal might require 70-80g of
carb. More carbs mean more calories mean more weight. Personally, I have
always found a large salad more satisfying and longer lasting than a bowl of
pasta. But this is something that will differ amongst individuals.

Now that spring is here, take the opportunity to eat more fresh fruit and
veg instead of bread. Of course, this is easy for me to say, because I
really enjoy fruit and veg and grow some of my own. If you have prejudices
against veg, consider whether it's because of overcooked mush when you were
a child, and try stirfries, etc.