Re: [IPk] pulmoary emboli, hospitals etc

Abigail, not sure re cause of PEs.  I flew to USA last September and took
aspirin for 2 months prior to flight as precautionary measure but left leg got
very swollen and very sore during the flight.  Subsided after about 3 days.
Whether this had been a DVT which then moved with all the hassles and extended
bed-rest in hospital, is still open to debate.  Apparently I've developed the
clots bilaterally and on all levels of pulmonary artery.  If you're going to do
a job, might as well hit the high spots!

One staff nurse who was convinced he knew everything about DM though Humalog
was a mixed insulin, gave a DMer who was almost blind as a result of
complications and had fbg of 5, a large glass of milk, followed by 2
digestives, then a massive high carb breakfast of cereal with sugar, 2 slices
of toast and marmalade then gave morning insulin at 9.30 and wondered why bgs
had hit 16.7 ("Much better" comment of Staff Nurse) and then 23 before lunch.
I could go on and on...

I finally made a complaint to the ward sister about this guy and his treatment
of me.  First time ever I've done this.

> Is finance the main barrier to you using a pump or is it a question of
> consultant still practising 19th century diabetes care?

Finance - but I'm now at the point where I can make a deposit and if necessary
try and make arrangements with pump company for me to pay the rest by
instalments.  Local GP practice has already agreed to pay on-costs.  I'll try
once more for funding via local Primary Care Group and then go the direct route.

> best of luck, you certainly deserve it after a 3 year battle

Thanks.

Rhoda