Re: [IPk] UVID

In message <003d01c1c7c5$a3b7c8e0$email @ redacted>, London_girl2000
<email @ redacted> writes
>I might be being really stupid here but does anyone know if its ok to UVID
>pumps, I know the Met set it up to mark mobile phones but I was given a UVID
>pen this morning by a policewoman and thought it would be a good idea to
>mark my pump in the unlikely case it got stolen.  Good idea or another one
>of my useless thoughts?
An interesting question ... which I've been meaning to resolve for the
9months+ that I've been on the pump!

First question: who owns the pump?  Self-purchasors know the answer to
that one!  The rest of us are in limbo.

Second question: obviously self-funders should insure against
loss/theft, but what about the rest of us?  My hospital came down with
the opinion that I should add it to my household insurance ....
although what the insurers will say if I claim (and if I claim, then the
replacement becomes mine, not the hospitals, of course!)

Third question: is it worth marking a pump?  While, I suppose, someone
might mistake it for a pager and take it off me, I assume that most
thefts of pumps are unintentioal - that is, they are taken along with
all the other contents of bags while the owner is swimming!

Will marking it help get it back?  It can't harm (although, if the pump
_does_ belong to someone else, you should get permission to deface it in
that way.  But given that it's got a serial number and the address of
the manufacturer, and it's such an _odd_ thing to be found on the
person, at the premises or abandoned, one would suspect that the police
would get in touch with them.  I know a civilian who works with the
Thames Valley PC, so I'll ask her about a pump recovered or found ....

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 user 9months+, and if it wasn't stuck in me, I'd have lost
it by now.  I once lost our cheese grater for six months).
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)