Re: [IPk] Canula Change time!!!

In message <email @ redacted>, Donald O' Donnell
<email @ redacted> writes
>Can anyone suggest to me a reason why my bg shoots up considerably when I
>change my canula. This carries on for about twelve hours after a change and
>I'm always wondering if the cannula is inserted correctly, blocked etc. This
>is obviously not the case because it rights itself after twelve hours (ish).
>The rise is steady and usually peaks at about 10 -12 over what it should be.

My pump nurse told me that while the general rule is a once-inserted
prime of 0.5 for a silhouete and 0.3 for a sof-set, she has one patient
who needs a 'massive' prime.  Seeing as I'm 'normal' (ha!  don't get to
say _that_ very often) I didn't ask how big is 'massive'.

Because your need for insulin increases as your bgs rise (i.e. dropping
by 1 point from 10 takes more insulin than dropping 1 point from 5), you
may find all you need to do is increase the prime.

Or you may find you need to do a square bolus when you change sets.  But
whichever, what matters really is having a predictable bg rise,
anticipating it, and correcting for it.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 9months+, and 'normal' in one respect!)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)