Re: [IPk] Any Suggestions?

Thanks for the clarification, John.  The real question is 'Why don't you
correct at the reading of 9.2'.  As you say, this is almost certainly a
basal problem, which needs to be fixed before anything sensible can be
said about eating and bolusing for-eating.

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 9months+, would like to find time to re-run the basals
testing, but has back-to-back meetings and deadlines, and has no
diabetes team to assist with analysis).

In message <003001c1c04a$bfb975c0$email @ redacted>, John Davis
<email @ redacted> writes
>>Why did you take 20g CHO at (02-03) and bolus 2 units? You could see that
>>your BG was going up.
>This seems to me to be a most odd question!  I often eat stuff when my
>bg is at the higher end of normal, or even, if I have to, when it is
>high, although I tend to avoid that, as I have increased needs, and
>figuring out how much and when is much more of an art than a science.
>Perhaps the question should have been. Why ONLY 2 units?
>Looking at the BG readings from 00-01 (4.6), 01-02 (9.2), 02-03 (10.7) &
>07-08 (13.2) It can be seen that the BG is rising, heaven knows where the BG
>was between 02-03 and 07-08.
>Bearing in mind that this was a "typical day" and looking at the increase in
>basal rate during that period, it seems to me that he should have taken a
>correction bolus in addition to the 2 units for the CHO at 02-03.
>Of more concern is the BG at 11-12 (17.3), this after a correction of 2
>units and 3 units for 30 CHO. and the fluctuations during the day,
>culminating in a BG of 20.2 before bed. If this is a typical day, something
>is wrong and should be sorted out by the medical team immediately.
>In the long term you cannot achieve good control without having your basal
>rates set correctly. This is the most important aspect of Insulin Pump
>John Davis,
>4 yrs on a pump.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)