Re: [IPk] finally got my 508!

Hi Christine
I just asked my consultant the first time I saw her (I moved to Sheffieldjust
over a year ago). I explained that I had difficulty seeing the numbers on the
dial (as I'm partially sighted) and really needed a model with an audio bolus
and backlight if I was to continue using the pump.  When she saw how much my
ocntrol had improved since being on the pump, she was very keen that I should
continue using it, and she agreed that a pump wasn't much good if I couldn't
tell how much insulin I was giving myself, so she agreed to write to the LHA
and ask them. Their first response was that I could only have one if I had a
good reason, so she wrote back again and said what was a good reason if not
being able to see the numbers wasn't? And they coughed up. Two other people got
funed for pumps as well at the same time, but apparently there might not be any
more funding for pumps for anyone else, as they're scraping the bottom of the
barrel. We'll see....

Are they currently funding your supplies?  I guess you've got nothing to lose
by writing to them first, and it might help to state your case clearly.  I
think what helped for me was the fact that it was clear how much benefit I was
getting from the pump, and that if I had to go off it my control would get
worse.

Good luck with your application!
Di