[IPk] Re: 24 hour sensor

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 14:55:48 +0000
From: Diana Maynard <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IPk] good news from the clinic

> I asked if I could
>go on the Minimed 24 hour sensor, and my consultant said they're doing

>trials with it at the moment and she'd pass my name on to the person
who was in
>charge. I'm really looking forward to doing that (well, not actually
>the thing, but seeing the results!).

I have just done a second 3-day test of this continuous glucose sensor,
this time as part of a little trial where people were asked to wear two
sensors to check that they agreed.  I was able to get the full data
output (as an excel file) from the device both times.  I work at the
hospital and have also seen some other people's traces from the sensor,
and discussed it with my endocrinologist.  Although they are improving
the device all the time, and using it was not uninformative for me (the
second test shows that the suggestion based on the first test to give
pre-meal boluses earlier has indeed helped to reduce post-meal BG
peaks, but on the negative side, monitoring of possible nighttime lows,
which were one of the big concerns which motivated me to try the
sensor, was a less clear issue), I concluded that there are very good
reasons why they are still doing trials rather than releasing the
device as a finished product.  Don't expect miracles (or ultimate
reliability!) from the sensor at this stage.
If you'd like more details of my experience, feel free to email me off
the list.

Do You Yahoo!?