Re: [IPk] Re: Frustrated and fed-up...

>Maybe I'm just no good at being a diabetic???

I don't think anyone is any good at it. I regard my diabetes as an
unwelcomed lodger who is not paying any rent...

Like Di, I also have to be careful even on a pump when I exercise. One
strategy that has worked for me is to eat a Twix before I start, and halve
my basal rate for one hour, and then return it to normal, even if I am
still exercising. To make things even worse, I seem to need a different
strategy between when I am unfit and fit. In addition to this, I still have
to check my bg every half hour or hour while exercising to see what's

One possible explanation for needing to eat carbohydrate in addition to
lowering my basal rate is that we have far too much insulin in the outer
circulation going to our muscles. In the non-diabetic person, most insulin
goes straight from the pancreas to the liver where most of it is used up,
sending only a little bit onwards to the muscles. But we inject or infuse
into the fat so all the insulin goes everywhere...

Don't know if this will help anyone here, but there was a book published
recently called "The Diabetic Athlete" by Sheri Colberg. ISBN 0736032711.
Amazon.co.uk price #13.95:

Blurb says: "Written for those with type 1, type 2, or gestational diabetes
this work draws from the collected expertise of hundreds of diabetic
athletes, sharing their experience of sports and fitness training. It
provides practical blood sugar balance, nutrutional and exercise advice."

If anyone reads this book and thinks it's any good, let me know and I'll
add to our books page at http://www.insulin-pumpers.org.uk/books

mailto:email @ redacted