Re: [IPk] Insulin pump & babies

Hello Gina,

I have been IDDM for 23 years, and started on a pump when pregnant with my
third baby, Molly who is now 14 months old

I had no problems while breastfeeding Molly, although as she got bigger, she
developed a knack of tugging the tubing.
I used an extra piece of tegaderm to secure the tubing - like anything with
a new baby it takes a bit of juggling to start with, but its amazing how
easy it was, on reflection.
I don't think the bonding will be an issue - I felt so lousy with my first
two, that it could have been. With Molly it was fantastic - because my
control was so much better, she didn't have to go to special care, so I had
her with me all the time.  I am glad that you want to breast feed - it's
definitely worth sticking with it - I would recommend finding a group like
the National Childbirth Trust here, who can give you support and advice on
breastfeeding.  I thought it would be the most natural thing in the world,
but it wasn't that easy!!  Like everything, it's a learning curve, so just
give it your best shot.  I have found it more difficult to maintainan even
keel since I stopped feeding Molly (she got her teeth at 10 months, so I
thought that I'd done my bit by then!)

I used the temporary basal rate adjustments to sort out my insulin
requirements - you'll be used to doing this while pregnant anyway...

It is worth having some carbohydrate to hand when you are feeding - I drank
chocolate milk.  I didn't notice any particular hypo's, but as I said, you
can use the temp rates to adjust things.

Finally, the best piece of advice I can give you is to do what feels right
for you,and don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. (I grazed, and
probably still do if I'm honest! so the weight is a bit of an issue...)

Good Luck,

Kate Clapham