[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IPk] Disability


This is my opinion only....

I think financial assistance should be there for those who need it.  A while 
ago a friend of a friend had a baby.  Now she doesn't need to work, her 
husband is very wealthy, and he earns a LOT of money.  But she is claiming 
child benefits from the government!  To me, and this is just my opinion, 
that is wrong.  There are so many people who genuinely need assistance, but 
she is taking money when she does not need it!  She is obviously entitled to 
it, but morally I don't think she should accept it!

This is just my opinion....

I like your idea of giving the money to charity.

I personally don't believe that ALL dmers should get DLA.  Fair enough if 
you are suffering from complications etc from it, but we are receiving a lot 
of government assistance in the form of unlimited GP visits, free scripts, 
and free yearly consultations with specialists.  That is so much more than 
what dmers receive in other countries.  You here of cases in America, where 
people can't even afford to pay for testing strips!  What a desparate 

This is just my opinion, sorry again if this offends at all!

PS  Not that I've tried but I don't think I am able to Scuba Dive - would 
that count?

>From: Pat Reynolds <email @ redacted>
>Reply-To: email @ redacted
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: [IPk] Disability
>Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 21:56:02 +0000
>The whole question of what is a disability and what is not (and who is a
>disabled person, and who is not, is, as you've guessed, a fraught one.
>It comes down to definitions.  What is a disabled person?  There are (at
>least) three models of disability.  The two most common are the medical
>model, which says 'you are disabled, because you have X, Y, or Z'.  The
>other is the social model which says 'because society is the way it is,
>there are barriers which you face when you try and do X, or Y or Z, and
>therefore you are disabled'.
>The Disabled Living Allowance is payable if you meet their criteria, not
>yours, mine or anyone else's of what disability is.
>There are two reasons for not claiming DLA, one of which I can somewhat
>sympathise with (and I guess Ingrid falls into this class), and one of
>which I think dispicable.  First reason:
>'I know I might fall within the DLA definition, but I believe that this
>money should go to those most in need of financial support, and while
>not rich [or I am rich] I am not as needy as other people'.
>second reason
>'I know I might fall within the DLA definition, but my view of 'disabled
>people' is that they are second-class citizens, and I don't want to be
>lumped with them, thank you. No, I'd rather starve on the streets than
>have anyone think that I'm not capable of living a full life'.
>While I can understand that first reason, I don't agree with it 100%.
>There is even an argument that all diabetics _should_ apply because it
>would show that we believe that the additional costs of diabetes should
>be met, and that money for people with disabilities is not charity on
>behalf of central government, but the result of good business planning.
>If everyone who _might_ meet the definition applied for it, and then
>gave the money to charity if they didn't need it, those who weren't so
>financially secure would not feel guilty about applying for it.
>I _know_ I'm disabled.  I'm not able to drive a minibus - as good an
>example from the social model of disability as you are every likely to
>find. However, I don't think I meet the DLA definition (because I never
>need anyone's help during a hypo, or at any other time (apart from when
>it comes to driving a minibus or large van)).  Does anyone think that
>might count, for them?  If so, I'll apply!
>Best wishes
>In message <email @ redacted>, Ingrid Morrow
><email @ redacted> writes
> >I'm a bit confused.
> >
> >I can understand claiming it if you have a "disability" caused by DM (or
> >whatever), but I can honestly say I would not believe in claiming it 
> >because I have DM.  By your argument I could say that because I have had 
> >couple of severe night time hypos, I need someone to look after me (thus 
> >husband question), and thus I could claim it!
> >
> >But I am not disabled, and I am in fulltime work (I know I am lucky, and
> >there are others a lot less fortunate than me).
> >
> >Does anybody else think this could possibly give Dmers a bad name?
>Pat Reynolds
>email @ redacted
>    "It might look a bit messy now, but just you come back in 500 years 
>    (T. Pratchett)
>for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
>help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml

Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml