[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: [IPk] Re: Frustrated and fed-up...



Yep Hilly that makes sense

I am still pretty much fit and well, and I think I take that for granted.  I 
get scared at times about the future, but as someone here says, noone 
gurantees tomorrow!

I just hope I won't have to feel guilty about possibly needing assistance in 
the future.  I know at times I feel guilty about the "extra" stuff Peter 
does for me.


All the best,


Ingrid

>From: "Hilly Beattie" <email @ redacted>
>Reply-To: email @ redacted
>To: <email @ redacted>
>Subject: Re: [IPk] Re: Frustrated and fed-up...
>Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 20:12:10 -0000
>
>Ingrid,
>No offence taken and sorry if it sounded like that. I think it's more that 
>I
>know I shouldn't feel guilty but it's hard to change a habit of a lifetime!
>I've spent so long of my time denying my diabetes to myself and everyone
>around me, always making out it doesn't affect me and I can live, "a normal
>life as long as I take care" routine. You learn to do that as a diabetic so
>when it comes to writing down what's wrong with me, how it affects me and
>who I have to rely on I felt so guilty within myself.
>Hope that makes more sense!
>Hilly
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Ingrid Morrow" <email @ redacted>
>To: <email @ redacted>
>Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 5:38 PM
>Subject: Re: [IPk] Re: Frustrated and fed-up...
>
>
> > Hilly
> >
> > I am sorry if I made you feel even more guilty.  It honestly was not my
> > intention to "judge" others, and I definitely am not doing that here.
>Like
> > I said to Di, if you have a disability, then you should get what you are
> > entitled to!
> >
> > I truly am sorry for any misunderstanding.
> >
> >
> > Ingrid
> >
> >
> > >From: "Hilly Beattie" <email @ redacted>
> > >Reply-To: email @ redacted
> > >To: <email @ redacted>
> > >Subject: Re: [IPk] Re: Frustrated and fed-up...
> > >Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:11:56 -0000
> > >
> > >I wouldn't dream of applying if it wasn't for the extra complications I
>am
> > >now getting but I still feel guilty applying because as Diana said you
>may
> > >not get the help you ask for or intend to get it, but you are still
> > >entitled. I am working at the moment but due to DM and complications 
>(and
> > >the depression I constantly seem to have now as well), I am worried I 
>may
> > >lose my job. Hence I am applying for peace of mind at present in case I
> > >lose
> > >my job...at least I will already be in the "benefits system". Diabetics
>do
> > >come under the Disability Act so I don't feel I am "labelling" myself
> > >anymore than already. (It's the reason I have not been sacked at this
>point
> > >due to sickness levels, but I do agree to see an Occupational Health
> > >therapist for work purposes)
> > >One thing I am learning though is the forms can be hard as you have to
>list
> > >everything on a "worse case scenario" and that can feel like your
> > >exaggerating your ill health. It is also quite hard as I spend all my
>time
> > >trying not to think of what I can not do etc and for this form (3 forms
>in
> > >total) you have to do exactly the opposite. I found it quite upsetting
> > >which
> > >surprised me.
> > >My live-in partner has to do alot for me and  I expect what most of us
>have
> > >to do is rely on good friends and family.
> > >----- Original Message -----
> > >From: "Diana Maynard" <email @ redacted>
> > >To: <email @ redacted>
> > >Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 4:40 PM
> > >Subject: Re: [IPk] Re: Frustrated and fed-up...
> > >
> > >
> > > > Hi Ingrid
> > > > I agree totally with you.
> > > > But, as I said in my original post, I think it's very unlikelyyou'd
>get
> > >it
> > >if
> > > > you ONLY have DM and nothing else.
> > > > If you have total hypo unawareness, that could be a different 
>matter.
> > > > I feel quite guilty about claiming it at all, even though I'm 
>entitled
> > >to,
> > > > because I don't necessarily actually get someone to help with
>everything
> > >I
> > > > theoretically need help for. If there's noone to help me get 
>somewhere
> > >at
> > > > night, for example, I might go out on my own. I don't like to, 
>because
>I
> > >do
> > > > have difficulties and I feel very unsafe, but I *can* do it. Does 
>that
> > >mean I
> > > > shouldn't claim for help with mobility? And a lot of things I put in
>my
> > >claim
> > > > that I need help for, I get friends to do, but I don't pay them, I
>rely
> > > > on their generosity.
> > > > it's a minefield of ethics......
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >  On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, you wrote:
> > > > > I'm a bit confused.
> > > > >
> > > > > I can understand claiming it if you have a "disability" caused by 
>DM
> > >(or
> > > > > whatever), but I can honestly say I would not believe in claiming 
>it
> > >simply
> > > > > because I have DM.  By your argument I could say that because I 
>have
> > >had
> > >a
> > > > > couple of severe night time hypos, I need someone to look after me
> > >(thus
> > >my
> > > > > husband question), and thus I could claim it!
> > > > >
> > > > > But I am not disabled, and I am in fulltime work (I know I am 
>lucky,
> > >and
> > > > > there are others a lot less fortunate than me).
> > > > >
> > > > > Does anybody else think this could possibly give Dmers a bad name?
> > > > >
> > > > > And don't they think it could backfire on them?  Because if you 
>are
> > >claiming
> > > > > a DISABILITY allowance, wouldn't some people say that rules you 
>out
>of
> > >a
> > >lot
> > > > > of things?
> > > > >
> > > > > I am sorry if I am offending anyone here, these are just my
> > >thoughts....
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Ingrid
> > > > >
> > > > ----------------------------------------------------------
> > > > for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact:
>HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> > > > help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers
>http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> > > >
> > >----------------------------------------------------------
> > >for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> > >help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers 
>http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> >
> > 
>_________________________________________________________________________
> > Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at 
>http://www.hotmail.com.
> > ----------------------------------------------------------
> > for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> > help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> >
>----------------------------------------------------------
>for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
>help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.
----------------------------------------------------------
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml