Re: [IPk] Re: Frustrated and fed-up...

Hi All,

I don't think anyone should feel guilty for claiming DLA or for that matter
any other benefit they are entitled to.  Each claim for benefit is
individual and whether you qualify or not is unique to your individual
needs.  However I understand how easy it is to feel guilty, I certainly did
when I first claimed, but I know that I have not been able to lead a full
and active life because of my diabetes.  It is the times when I need help,
when i am still feeling terrible 2 hours after a bad hypo, when I want to
have a bath safely etc that I accept I am entilted to DLA.  Personally even
working part-time leaves me physically shattered, I would not be able to
work full time without becoming physically ill.

The forms for DLA are very long and complex, and are by there very design
offputting.  It is very difficult to complete them correctly, because they
try to lead you to say things in a positive light, rather than the realilty
of the way things really are.  Hence many people end up saying on the forms
they really can do 'xyz' even if the majority of the time they can't or can
only do so with help.  It is therefore a good idea to complete them a small
section at a time, and with a person whom knows you well and can be brutally
honest when answering the questions.  Evidence of why you are claiming ie
statement by your diabetes nurse, blood results, hospital admissions etc all
will help the DLA department make a prompt and fair decision of your needs.

I hope this helps

Sharon L