Re: [IPk] Pressure for pump funding

You deserve a round of applause for this work, John.

Is it going to be published or e-published.  Whichever, it should be
press-released.  It's scandalous that the NHS ranks something which will
save it money over the medium-to-long term alongside things which make
no such savings, but, like pumps (for a very few people), merely
contribute to 'quality of life'.  I also note that infertility treatment
is apparently seen as a higher priority (something which commits the NHS
to huge ongoing costs)!  The NHS clearly doesn't have to worry about
money next year or next decade, only this financial year matters.

It is also scandalous that getting an MP's support means you get better
treatment!  But it would be as well to keep that secret among ourselves.

In message <000a01c0abf9$83834b00$email @ redacted>, John Davis
<email @ redacted> writes
>Having spoken to every Health Authority in the UK regarding their policy and
>criteria for funding pumps, (if any). We would make the following
>Insulin pumps are regarded by "the majority of Health Authorities" as a low
>priority treatment on par with tattoo removal, cosmetic surgery, and gender
>reassignment surgery. Pumps are regarded as less clinically effective and a
>retrospective treatment option due to the old style pump available in the
>1970's, with it's associated bad press which is still remembered.
>Alternative treatment options for diabetics such as MDI are therefore seen
>as a more effective option.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)