Re: [IPk] Sets and Polyfin

For information purposes.

The term Polyfin actually refers to the tubing used in the construction of
the MIniMed sets, which is PVC outer layer with a layer of Polyolefin on the
inside of the tube. This help reduce drug absorption and removes one of the
causes of clogging in the older tubes. (I believe Disetronic do use a
similar construction).

The name polyfin also seems to have been adopted for the Minimed Needle
infusion sets, and these are what is being discussed here. These are
available with a bent needle, with or without a fabric butterfly. They are
also available in QR (Detachable) format so you can choose what you like.

How long can they stay in? It's an individual thing but we find generally
2-3 days on average (As opposed to 3 to 5 days for the SofSet and
Silhouette). For those who re-site them please be careful. If you have any
irritation or infection at the original site you may just introduce this to
the new site by moving the needle.

They are considerably cheaper than the sof sets, but generally the 'per day'
price is not much different, and the soft sets are much more comfortable.

Anyway they are all there and you chose which best suits you.

Regards to all

Ray Morrissey