Re: [IPk] Pump and sensor symposium

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, you wrote:
>I've not been able to look at the website either as I have no web access at
>the moment - I can only use email (I'm making international phone calls at
>hotel inflated rates - so strictly no surfing!) But it sounds very similar
>to an article published in Diabetes Care, Nov 1999. In that paper it was 50
>adolescents on MDI compared with 25 on pumps.

You're right - I have  now accessed the abstract online, though I've not
read the whole article.
The ref. is:
E.A. Boland, M. Grey, A. Oesterle, L. Fredrickson, W.V. Tamborlane.
Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion. A new way to lower risk of severe
hypoglycemia, improve metabolic control, and enhance coping in adolescents
with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 22(11): 1779-84, 1999.

>There was a proviso: it was the patients themselves who chose to be on pump
>or MDI. It is not unreasonable to suppose that intelligent kids are more
>likely to be interested in pumps, and precisely these sort of kids are more
>likely to do better whatever treatment they are on. It is sort of borne out
>by the fact that the pump-choosers already had a lower HbA1c (8.4) than the
>MDIers (8.8) at the very beginning.

Aha. yes, I noticed that the average HbA1C was slightly lower.
But you could equally reasonably suppose that the kids who were having
problems on MDI were more likely to choose pumps......
You would really need to look at the before and after cases of those on
pumps, rather than the pumpers/MDI-ers to get a proper picture.
Oh....I've just read the last bit of your message :-).  I see we agree!