Re: [IPk] more night-time basal problems

>If you are on Humalog then I think it might help to lower your basal to 1.0 from
>eleven p.m. until 2:00 a.m. to stop you going hypo between 1-4a.m. (remember even
>with short acting insulins you need to calculate an hour or two back to decided
>which basal rate is affecting you at which time. You could then try raising the
>basal o 1.1 between 2 and 4 and then increasing it between 4-11 a.m perhaps up to
>1.2 or 1.3. The morning BG of 11 is almost certainly due to the dawn effect which
>happens like its name indicates, around dawn or earlier.

Hi Moira
yes, of course I know about the dawn effect. It just never used to happen
until about 9am, in fact I used to have the opposite problem. But maybe
things are changing. I'm not sure about changing the clock - I think that
would just confuse me more, though I can see what you mean.

Last night I tried what Elizabeth had suggested (I think) and had 1.0 from
12 to 4am , and then1.1 from 4 to 8.30, and then 1.3 from 8.30 to 11.30.
However, I was mildly hypo at 10.30pm, so that may have screwed things
abit. So, I didn't test at 2am, but I didn't wake up either, which is a
pretty good sign that I was not low or high then. Woke up at 7.15 feeling
awake for a change (another good sign) and tested at 9, so a definite
improvement already. I think I now need to either start the 1.3 a couple of
hours earlier, or increase the 1.1to 1.2 (which is pretty much what you're
saying). The problem (as always) is finding a time to do it and test
properly when all the other variables are stable!
Thanks for everyone's responses.