Re: [IPk] more night-time basal problems

> Di wrote:
> >I seem to be having some more difficulties with my night-time basals.
> >The pattern seems to be this:
> >11pm BG 5.5
> >1-4am BG 4
> >8am BG 11
> >
> >I'm currently on 1.1 units per hour from midnight to 8am, and then 1.3 from
> >8am to 11am.  If I lower it to 1.0 (as was my first thought, given that the
> >high 8am looks like a rebound), I just end up higher in the morning. At the
> >moment I am either hypo or nearly hypo sometime between at 1am and 4am.
> >Might the solution be to lower it to 1.0 for the first few hours, and then
> >to increase it to, say, 1.2 at about 5am?
> >My dawn syndrome (I thought) starts at about 9am, but maybe thi shas changed
> >and it's actualyl starting a lot earlier?
> >It used to be the opposite, that I actually needed less insulin from about
> >5-8am, and then had no dawn syndrome at all. Maybe I'm becoming more normal
> >in my old age?
> >
> >Any thoughts, anyone?
> >Oh, I forgot to say, I've been treating the hypo with 1-2 glucose tabs, so
> >it can't be overtreating that's causing the high.
> > Thanks
> >Di
> >Dear Di,

If you are on Humalog then I think it might help to lower your basal to 1.0 from
eleven p.m. until 2:00 a.m. to stop you going hypo between 1-4a.m. (remember even
with short acting insulins you need to calculate an hour or two back to decided
which basal rate is affecting you at which time. You could then try raising the
basal o 1.1 between 2 and 4 and then increasing it between 4-11 a.m perhaps up to
1.2 or 1.3. The morning BG of 11 is almost certainly due to the dawn effect which
happens like its name indicates, around dawn or earlier. The liver actually
starts gearing up and converting glycogen to glucose in the early morning hours
to get your body up at dawn so it is likely that the raise in BGs are happening
between 4 and 6 a.m so you actually need to raise the basals before this happens
to compensate. Does this sound confusing ?  I hope I haven't made things worse
instead of better. You could try it out and see how you get on. The timings might
need shifting forward or back an hour but I think the pattern might suit you. If
I want to try out timings I just change the time on my pump to shift all the
basals forward or backwards and then if the change works then I reset the pump,
it makes life a bit easier as long as you remember to reset the clock ! Good luck

Moira