Re: [IPk] more night-time basal problems

In message <email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
Could you be rebounding from a second, undetected hypo?  Could you be
waking only on the way up from the hypo (with the rebound already

Of course, personally, I'd love to wake up with a bg of 11 - I count
anything over 4 or under 20 as a good day!

Best wishes to all,
>I seem to be having some more difficulties with my night-time basals.
>The pattern seems to be this:
>11pm BG 5.5
>1-4am BG 4
>8am BG 11
>I'm currently on 1.1 units per hour from midnight to 8am, and then 1.3 from
>8am to 11am.  If I lower it to 1.0 (as was my first thought, given that the
>high 8am looks like a rebound), I just end up higher in the morning. At the
>moment I am either hypo or nearly hypo sometime between at 1am and 4am.
>Might the solution be to lower it to 1.0 for the first few hours, and then
>to increase it to, say, 1.2 at about 5am?
>My dawn syndrome (I thought) starts at about 9am, but maybe thi shas changed
>and it's actualyl starting a lot earlier?
>It used to be the opposite, that I actually needed less insulin from about
>5-8am, and then had no dawn syndrome at all. Maybe I'm becoming more normal
>in my old age?
>Any thoughts, anyone?
>Oh, I forgot to say, I've been treating the hypo with 1-2 glucose tabs, so
>it can't be overtreating that's causing the high.
> Thanks

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)